Sunday, July 10, 2005

The award for "Most Whimsical Float" ....

goes to the Fried Flamingo's of Marietta!

Many hours of prep time during the weeks prior and waking early to get properly feathered for the Fourth of July parade paid off! Six Fried Flamingo Queens and their Drambuie Boys, along with The Body Handler strutted their stuff on an 18 foot long pink feathered float pulled by Tacoma down the streets of Marietta cheered by on-lookers.

Robert and I were discussing afterwards how long it had been the last time we were in a parade. For him, with his girls in Hawaii and for me, high school! The funny part is, this is the second one this year, with at least two more to go........

We all settled down in the park only to be approached constantly by others wanting their pictures with us. Our group also passed out sequined tiaras to the young princesses and pin wheels to the young princes.
  • One little girl asks, "Is that your hair?" to which I answer, "Of course, I bought it!"
  • Another princess wants to know if I get to keep all of that jewelry and if I want to see her perform her baton twirling routine. Yes, and yes I reply as I applaud her showmanship.
  • The children are mesmerized by the bubble machines on the float, trying to catch them before they float away.
Two of my favorite moments of the day are the when we all had our pix taken with two, more experienced queens. Their silver hair and sparkly eyes really tell a story..... Deep down, we are all Queens and just want to have fun!

As the afternoon progressed, the FFQs and their respective Drambuie Boys departed two by two. Robert and I took Tacoma back home for an afternoon nap, only to return for fireworks later that evening.

Happy Independence Day! We are proud to be Americans!





1 comment:

Jen Strange said...

the pictures were hilarious! you guys had WAY more fun on the 4th than we did. (You make me feel boring . . . heh.)

jen