Sunday, August 21, 2005

The best $2.50 I ever.....



spent was on a can of green hair spray paint. Now, I know to the average person this may seem like a very strange comment, but hopefully you will agree after you read my explanation.

It all started four years ago in Madison, Wisconsin at Walmart. Sara, Mom, Marilyn and I were hunting for anything green that we could find. You see Chris was a first year rookie in the Cavaliers and we felt the need to show our support. Aha! Green hair spray paint - what a find! We purchase said hairspray and proceed to the womens restroom. It is there that we each sprayed our hair green. Young girls in the stadium approached and wanted to know where they could get their hair sprayed. So I whipped out the can of spray and must have done five girls hair.

Fast forward to Orlando in 2003 and Denver in 2004 - the scene replays itself again and again....... With the season coming again, I proceed to find green hair spray paint once more. $2.50? What a bargain! This year's story is even better than the previous three combined.....

After watching the Cavies practice one final time before the last day of competition, Robert and I stop at Wendy's to get a quick bite to eat and to change into our 'Cavies Baseball jerseys'. I also take the opportunity to use the mirror in the bathroom to spray my hair. Imagine the suprise when I walk out with green hair! Yes, that is always a priceless moment. For some reason, people automatically assume that once one passes a certain age they do not do anything out of the ordinary. I try to talk Robert into spraying his beard and moutache to no avail......

We missed the Pre-Finals Get Together, but do arrive in the parking lot just in time to catch Mom, Sara and Ken before they leave. As we are talking to them, a car stops and the gentleman driver asks where he can purchase some green hair spray paint. Imagine my delight to find another adult that would like to paint their hair green!!! Yes, Alan Boyer, proud father of a Cavalier had his daughter paint a stripe of green in his hair and beard. He then talked her into it as well. Yeah!!!

Robert and I eat, then proceed to the parking lot at Gillette stadium all the while I am trying to talk him into painting his beard and moustache. He is resistant, but finally must have gotten tired of my insistence. (Nice way of saying that I wouldn't shut up until he did - ya know, "It's the last time ever that you will have to show your support for Chris, blah, blah.....;-0) Yesss...... I get to paint his beard and moustache.

It is funny how Robert really was the one who attracted most of the attention with his beard. This may be because people assume that women do crazy things, but it is more unusual for a man? Not sure why, but everyone kept telling him how much they like his green paint.

So, we're sitting in our seats in the Cavaliers Block, waiting for the show to begin. a large group of young adults from Japan are sitting next to us as well as in the row below us. They, like many others, are very interested in the green hair thing. They even wanted their pix with us..... OK, now the wheels are turning. We offered the remainder of our green hairspray paint as a gesture of friendship..... They proceeded to paint C-A-V-A-L-I-E-R-S, one letter on the top of each head. The pictures are pricesless. The only thing that would've made it better is if the Cavaliers were on the field when the pix was taken. (credit for photo goes to Alan, Photoshop to take out a couple of extraneous item goes to Robert and finally my camera Nikon D70 for being so awesome!)

One fellow fan even asked me if these were our kids..... Well no, but we would be happy to claim them any day - What fabulous people!

And all of these shennanigans are made possible by The Cavaliers! What a privilege to have been associated with them for the past four years. I know that Chris will continue for years to come. Who knows..... maybe one day he will paint his hair green.

No comments: