Monday, May 16, 2005

So the ear piercing saga continues.......

As I decided to take matters into my own hands, I thought of a day some 30 or more odd years ago. Sara and I were sitting in her bedroom, when we decided that it would be a good idea for her to pierce my ears. So we proceeded to get the ice cubes to numb my ear lobes and the pair of earrings with the sharp post left over from the time when she had her ears pierced. It is very comical looking back, because I am sure Mom and Dad would've paid to have mine done too, but I guess I was impatient. I think the only reason it hurt is because she stopped halfway through the first ear to ask me, "Does it hurt?" Long story short, it took a couple if tries and she finally got it.

This all transpired in the 70's, and we all know the style of earrings teenage girls were wearing back then. Yup, hoops - the bigger, the better. So in my sixteenth year, at a basketball game in the bathroom - you will find me combing my long, straight, shiny brown hair looking in the mirror to make sure it was just so. That's when it happened, the teeth of the comb had a collision with the hoop attached to my ear. Ouch, yes it ripped and my ear has never been the same since.

Fast forward thirty years...... and yes, for those of you who are doing the math, that would make me 46 years young. I finally decided to have my ear re-pierced so I could wear some of my very cool earrings which are a little too heavy. Besides, I get tired of so many people telling me that I am about to lose my earring. So, I go to one of those mall stores named Claire's to get it done. I get one ear done with the gun that shoots the sharp earring. It's OK, but she shot the back into the same hole as the previous. Now the earrings have torn a BIG hole in my ear and it is about 1/16th of the way from tearing all the way through.

SO, while Robert is at work, I get out two ice cubes and the earring with the sharp post. Three tries and lots of alcohol (rubbing, not drinking) later, my ear is pierced, by ME!!!!! I can't wait til I can wear all of my cute earrings again......

And I call Sara to say, "You know I was thinking about you today......"

Til the next time, Sheri

2 comments:

Jen Strange said...

Hey sister --
OMG, I was TOTALLY thinking about that very thing yesterday during church! I was watching Jake's class during church and there was an 18 month old girl with little hoops in her ears and I was horrified. All I could think about was the story about your ear. You do know, of course, that because of that, dad NEVER let me wear hoop earrings!!! It was all your fault! ;o)

I am SO TOTALLY GLAD that you are blogging! Rock on!!! I can't wait to see what else you have to say.

Jen
(clicking on my name will take you to the All About Jake blog.) ;o)

Jen Strange said...

ok, wait, clicking on my name takes you to my profile -- from there you can find "my webpage" (which is Jake's site) or toward the bottom middle under blogs, that takes you to a page with the LINK to Jake's blog. Yeah.

Jen