Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Cleaning out the........

closets was how I spent my Sunday. It was a rainy day (not night, ha!) in Georgia when I decided it was time to clean the closet. It all started when......

Robert and I decided that our family room was much too cluttered with 'stuff' and furniture. So we bid adeiu to the yellow couch and the sixty's coffee table acquired from the thrift store a year and a half ago. Now don't get us wrong, they served us well, but it was really time to say farewell. (Side note - call for help - odd job offer.... "If you live here in Marietta and want to make a quick $20, come get the couch and table off of our back porch and carry them to the dumpster.")

So, we decided to rearrange the furniture and set up the keyboard and guitar racks again. The room now has an open feel and is condusive to playing music (Robert, of course) or playing on the computers. Yes, they are both on-line now, his and hers!

Did ya forget to tell us about the closet Sheri?! No, you're not getting off that easily. Who else do you know who could write a mini-series about a closet? Needless to say, all of the 'stuff' got thrown in the closet. One could not walk in the walk in closet if that was the goal. So my goal became to be productive while Robert slaved over a stove at work. By the time he returned from work, I had unpacked and set up a new file cabinet (complete with a tye died peace sign magnet on the side,) in addition to putting together two small shelving units. It is so organized, one may doubt that it is actually a part of our apartment. While I was 'at it', I also attacked the closet in the guest room.

Results?: about eight bags of garbage and ten bags of clothing to give to charity. The garbage has successfully been transported to the dumpster, while the clothing still resides in my trunk. The local Goodwill was leveled to build a Super Walmart, and the drop box of a competitor charity was blocked by constuction and more importantly rain. In my trunk it may remain, until I feel the urge to go shopping and need the trunk space.

Back to our wonderful room (with the organized closet attached) and the great rug we ordered from The Home Depot. (I hear they have the most wonderful 'stuff' there!) The goal with the rug is to complement the olive green naugahide recliner we bought last year and I think we found it! Once the rug is in, we will have a light celery green paint mixed to complement it to cover the walls. We are thinking aobut a 12" to 18" chocolate stripe all the way around the room with the same color of draperies. Keep in mind this is the Beatles room, so we will also be using the existing artwork we have. We are very excited about this update to our room, as it is the one we spend the most time in.

This will be a month long project, so stay tuned for updates!

(See Jess? A post can be about anything including a useless, but nonetheless descriptive narrative about a significant (or otherwise) occurence or experience. )

1 comment:

Jen Strange said...

glad you made some progress! I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my living room . . . that IKEA website we looked at together sure gave me some ideas! if only there was one locally . . . when are YOU getting one? In a year? I don't think my clutter can wait that long . . . ;o)

have you figured out how to post pics yet? Gotta show us pics of that Beetles room when you make progress.

oh, Priscilla read your post about our weekend and she really liked it. she just never comments. ;o)

love ya, sis.

Jen