Saturday, May 21, 2005

Up, up and away......

to Chicago!

Chris's visit to Hotlanta ended today as he boarded the plane to Chicago. It's funny feeling a Mom has, wanting to help navigate the long lines and potential issues inside the terminal that may face your now grown 'kid.' The reality is that Chris is a seasoned pro at the ripe young age of 21 and really doesn't need my help. Then comes the great feeling that he has all of the tools he will need to build his future. He may occaisonally ask for advice as he navigates his new world, but it is just that, advice not permission. My youngest is truly grown and joins his brother Mike in adulthood. An interesting saying I happened upon the other day: "Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself." Whew! Life truly is a canvas waiting for you to pick up the brush and paint the next chapter in your life.

I'll recap yesterday for those of you who were't here to experience it personally in Hotlanta. Chris and Robert slept in, while I went off to work. Someone has to do it, right? (Really this is Robert's well deserved weekend!) Chris goes to the highschool to help judge Drum Major auditions, then Robert comes to pick me up at work (early day 3pm) and we proceed to said highschool. I mentioned in a previous post that Chris is a pseudo celeb in his own right, and I witnessed it again in person. We arrived just in time to see Chris and the other judges fold up the table in the gym after completing their round table discussion. Looking up, one realizes that there are many kids and even a Mom or two watching from the windows that overlook the gym floor. Now one could speculate that they were watching the auditions, but I also imagine they were watching Chris. As we are leaving, he needs to stop by the music room to drop off the scoring sheets in the Director's office. One of the girls asks Chris if he will sign her yearbook and he graciously obliges. I overhear a conversation between two other girls, "I'm never going to wash my hands again!" and conclude she is referring to Chris having shook her hand. After he autographs the yearbook, I ask all of them to gather together for a group picture and they readily agree. I will forward this, as well as pix from the other night at dinner to my friend at work. I can only imagine that one if not more of these kids will treasure this picture with Chris.

So, it's off to the airport.... both Robert and Chris are hungry, so we stop at the 'Steak and Shake' eating establishment. They order juicy burgers, but since I have already eaten - I decide on the 'sippable' shake. For those of you who have never experienced this, I strongly recommend you get yourself there straight away! Think about caramel so plentiful that it clogs the straw.... (Oops! this is about Chris, right?) We are off to the airport, and should arrive just in time considering the heavy, but pretty darn normal traffic on I-75 - but wait! Chris' phone rings and it is the airport (well, not actually the airport, but an airline representative.) The message? The flight has been cancelled due to technical difficulties and there are NO other flights (connecting or not) to Chicago that evening. Hard as that is to believe, I mean it is Atlanta and Chicago, two of the largest hubs in the US.... So suffice it to say, Chris was re-schedule on a flight at 6:22am this morning.

Well, it's back home for us for a relaxing evening and a couple more photo ops. Chris updates his blog and website, while Robert works on rebuilding one of our computers and Sheri cooks 'fat burgers' on the back porch. As we bring our plates back to the porch for some dining under the stars, the guys are rearranging the patio furniture to face the door of the family room...... Ah-hah! the basketball playoffs are on TV and as luck would have it, they could eat under the stars AND watch basketball all at the same time. I never cease to be amazed at the inginuity (sp?) of the male species to successfully combine important aspects of their life!

Chris stays up all night, because he didn't think sleeping for a couple hours was worth while when he could get more work done on his site and the blog. 4:45 am arrives and we are on our way to the airport once again. This time, no calls .... and we're back to the first paragraph of this post. Hmmmm..... I wonder if someone will be there to pick him up?

Til next time.......

No comments: