Monday, May 23, 2005

Star Wars Movie Review

Was it 1977 when the first Star Wars came out? I do remember seeing it more than a couple of times and how cool it was for the times. Many years and many sequels have come and gone, of which I paid little attention to either. Fast forward almost 30 years later and the final (yet third?) episode is released.

Atmosphere
Robert and I went to the matinee and were pleasantly suprised that it was only $5.75 per ticket. I think the snacks (yes, I know Reeses Pieces are not healthy and I certainly do not need them!) cost more than the tickets! As we settle in to watch the 15 minutes or so of other TV and movie previews, small chillins sit right next to us and Momma walks away! Now something maternal kicks in and one automatically takes note and would not let anyone do anything to the kids. Darn! We really just want to watch the movie. Whew! As luck would have it Mom came back to sit with the kids. Thank you Mom! Now the large group of teens sitting in the row behind us, who entered the theater rather noisily sit down and put their feet on the back of the seats. Aurghhh!!! Was it the look I may have not knowingly given them or just common courtesy instilled by their Mommas that caused them to remove said feed from seat? Not sure, but they proceeded to act properly in public. It would make their Mommas proud.

Story Line
Robert said this is the best Star Wars yet and I have to agree with him. Even though I only have the first one to compare it to, this episode kept the viewer on the edge of their seat. More so than anything else for me was making the correlations between the stories. Even though the movie contained much violence, one can understand Darth Vader's motivation. It was power, but equally as strong was his desire to save the one he loves.

(Side Story - necessary at this point)
So yesterday Robert says that he really wants to get the first Star Wars movie and watch it again. Now silly me thought that we already had the movies, but only on VHS. Now I am saying this for all to read and witness, "I was wrong!" We only had one and it is NOT the first one. So we proceed to Blockbuster Video to either rent or purchase the CD. We scoured the store, up and down for this movie. Robert did have a thought, maybe others also thought of the same idea. So I, against Robert's advice as well as wishes, proceeded to the checkout to ask........."Do you have the first Star Wars movie on CD for rent or purchase?" To which the sales person replies, "We have a box set of the first three (4,5,6), would you like to buy it?" I wish y'all could've seen Robert's face! Kid in a candy shop, grinnin' ear to ear. We buy the set and go home to finish the 'fat burgers' from last night. Now, back to your regular movie review....

Story Line continued..
Watching the first movie is even better now, but sure is alot more complicated. Analyzing every comment , line. Rationalizing that Darth could have destroyed Leah, Luke and R2D2 several times, but didn't. Is that still a glimmer of decency? Side note: this is one of those movies that Robert almost knows the entire script by heart. He is multi-talented I tell you!

Special Effects
Wow! One of the best things about this movie series is the special effects. Even though it is high tech, it is also rustic. Robert told me that many items have been added to the first edition that weren't there originally and that many Star Wars 'Purists' are not happy about that. Hmmm..., if you never told me I wouldn't have noticed. Another interesting tidbit is that George Lucas did the voice overs for General Grievous himself. Now if you haven't seen the movie, I can tell you General Grievous has a nasty cough. In reality, George had bronchitis when the movie was shot and those are genuine coughs, not originally written in the script. Very cool! BTW, I am sure he is over the cough by now.

Costumes
Amazing! Padme (sp?) had some very nice gowns and obviously a fantastic hairdresser! There was one hairdo thought that would give us a glimpse into Princess Leah's style of choice, cinnabons! Padme is one of the only persons I know who could wear tights and a really cute top while she is pregnant and still look good. Yoda had a smart little zippered jumpsuit that fit just so. The capes worn by the men in the movie never got soiled at all. They make their grand entrance, drop the robe, then do flips through the air to get to what they are after. They never once went back to pick up the robe and said robe is never dirty. Now I know in the movie that the stage hands are picking up the robes, but what about in real life?

Props
From the space ship that Robert thinks looks like a Rambler, to the great white couches with the elegant curves (that I covet and would love to have!) the props were great. Better than Star Trek! ;-0

Overall Rating
* * * * *
So, I'm eating lunch with a three of my co-workers - when one asks, "Did anyone get to see Star Wars this weekend?" Yes, I answer eagerly and proceed to give a brief synopsis. Since Robert imparted so much knowledge on me about the movie, I kept answering, "Robert said." Hence forth, another question directed my way. Another of my co-workers says, "Why don't you get Sheri to give you Robert's number and ask him yourself?" Bwaaaa-haaaa!! So Darlin', may I?

Adding the tickets to the memory box as we speak. Don't laugh! I'll bet alot of you have memory boxes!

LOL, Sheri



1 comment:

Jen Strange said...

GREAT review, sis! I fully agree with everything -- it was a GREAT movie. It made Darth Vader such a sympathetic character . . . and dude, Hayden C. is HOTTT!!!

later, sis!

jen